The servers powering gitorious.org have been running for more than 3 years, and it’s time to move to new servers. The migration will start Tuesday November 27th at 10.00CET, and we expect to be done before noon. All gitorious.org services will be unavailable while we’re doing the migration.
We’re making some changes in how Gitorious runs on the new servers, most notably:
- We’re moving from Apache to Nginx for the web server and SSL termination
- We’re moving from Phusion Passenger to Unicorn for the Rails application server
- We’re moving from ActiveMQ/ActiveMessaging to Redis/Resque for the message queue
- We’re changing operating system from Ubuntu to CentOS
Apart from the potential speed improvements and stability provided by these changes in our underlying infrastructure gitorious.org will continue working like it does today after the upgrade. We will post reminders about the migration on our status site before we start, and post updates as the migration proceeds.
- 10:40 CET: We have exported the database from the old database server, which has been shut down. We’re currently importing the database to the new database server.
- 10:50 CET: The take has come to say goodbye to the old gitorious.org frontend server
- 11:14 CET: We’ve imported the database and are currently running health checks on the new servers
- 12:35 CET: A little behind our schedule, we’re just about ready to open up
- 12:39 CET: And we’re back up